Share Our Roads Safely with the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree
Carrying the Load and Delivering Delight, Safely
Truck drivers carry the load for our country and keep our economy moving. During this holiday season, they’ll carry on with the gifts of joy, hope, and the promise of maintaining holiday traditions. One tradition that won’t be lost this year: truck drivers delivering the spirit of the holidays, safely, to our nation’s capital with the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree.
Help thank our nation’s truck drivers this holiday season by sharing Truck Driver Appreciation graphics.
Give Large Trucks the Space They Need
Commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) like the one transporting “The People’s Tree” from Colorado to Washington, D.C. are – BIG. Like other vehicles, large trucks have their own safety challenges, so make sure you’re aware and sharing the road safely.
Longer Stopping Distance
It can take the truck carrying this year’s tree the length of two football fields to stop. These trucks are heavy, so when you’re on the road, never cut in front and give them the space they need to stop.
Bigger Blind Spots
Large trucks, like the one carrying this year’s tree, have huge blind spots on all four sides. Be mindful that truck drivers might not be able to see you, so take extra care when passing or being passed by a large truck.
Heavy, large vehicles like the one delivering this year’s tree don’t maneuver like passenger vehicles and need extra space to turn. Never squeeze by a large truck when you’re sharing the road, especially when they are turning.
Want more tips on sharing the road safely with large vehicles? Hear first-hand testimonials from truck drivers, bus drivers, and other road users through our Voices of Safety campaign.
Spread Cheer and Safety this Holiday Season
Learning about road safety happens at all ages. Print out our holiday coloring activity and learn how everyone can be safe on our roads this holiday season.
- For more information about how to share the road safely with large trucks and buses, explore the Our Roads, Our Safety website.
- Find and share campaign materials, social graphics, videos, and more from the Outreach Toolkit.
- Follow the Our Roads, Our Safety Facebook page for news, safety messages, and additional materials from our partners.
- Learn more about the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree and follow its journey.
- Find more coloring pages to experience your nature, from Choose Outdoors and the U.S. Forest Service.