Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
FMCSA is committed to implementing the Administration's core principle of an open and transparent Federal Government. In recognition of this fundamental commitment to open government, FMCSA is mindful of its responsibility for effectively performing its responsibilities under the FOIA. Consistent with these FOIA obligations to members of the public, FMCSA will continue to operate in the spirit of providing accessibility to non-exempt FOIA records. The FMCSA FOIA Office will:
- Exhibit a "presumption of openness" by making discretionary releases of records that may have been historically withheld.
- Make strong efforts to promptly process FOIA requests within the allowable 20 business days.
- Maintain open lines of communication with FOIA requesters.
- Encourage our Program Offices to place and keep current pertinent information on their sections of our public website.
- Proactively make records of interest available to the public either via the Electronic Reading Room, or other locations within our website.
Submitting FOIA Requests
In recognition of the President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America and following the Department’s guidance to take all necessary precautions to protect the health and safety of the Department’s workforce, the FOIA team is working remotely and not able to process any requests mailed or faxed to the office. Any requests received by mail or fax after Monday, March 16, 2020, may not be processed until employees are able to return safely to the office. If you wish to resubmit your request, please send it to the following e-mail address: FOIA2@dot.gov
Additional FOIA Resources