How to Make a FOIA Request
Before you submit a FOIA request for FMCSA documents please be aware of the following:
- You must make your request in writing via mail, fax or email. Your request must include your name, address, and a telephone number where we can reach you if we have questions about your request.
- You should clearly indicate that you are making your request under FOIA.
- The request must reasonably and specifically describe the documents you seek. (When requesting documents on a specific motor carrier, please include the motor carrier name and principal place of business or Department of Transportation number if available).
- If you are requesting information on yourself, i.e. a Privacy Act request, you must complete and submit a Privacy Waiverform.
- You may submit your request using one of the three following methods:
(FOIA provides only for the release of documents; it doesn't answer questions.)
Where to Make a FOIA Request
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Attn: FOIA Team MC-MMI
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Attn: FOIA Team
NOTE: Please include a telephone number on your FOIA request where you can be contacted in case of problems or questions regarding your request.
If you are Denied a Request
You may make an appeal in writing if your request is denied.