Submitting FOIA Requests
In recognition of the President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America and following the Department’s guidance to take all necessary precautions to protect the health and safety of the Department’s workforce, the FOIA team is working remotely and not able to process any requests mailed or faxed to the office. Any requests received by mail or fax after Monday, March 16, 2020, may not be processed until employees are able to return safely to the office. If you wish to resubmit your request, please send it to the following e-mail address: FOIA2@dot.gov
How to Make a FOIA Request
Before you submit a FOIA request for FMCSA documents please be aware of the following:
- You must make your request in writing via mail, fax or email. Your request must include your name, address, and a telephone number where we can reach you if we have questions about your request.
- You should clearly indicate that you are making your request under FOIA.
- The request must reasonably and specifically describe the documents you seek. (When requesting documents on a specific motor carrier, please include the motor carrier name and principal place of business or Department of Transportation number if available).
- If you are requesting information on yourself, i.e. a Privacy Act request, you must complete and submit a Privacy Waiver form.
- You may submit your request using one of the three following methods:
(FOIA provides only for the release of documents; it doesn't answer questions.)
Where to Make a FOIA Request
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Attn: FOIA Team MC-MMI
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Attn: FOIA Team
NOTE: Please include a telephone number on your FOIA request where you can be contacted in case of problems or questions regarding your request.
If you are Denied a Request
You may make an appeal in writing if your request is denied.