NOTE: The information provided on this website is to help promote understanding of and compliance with the ELD rule - it is not a substitute for the specific requirements documented in the rule.
About the ELD Rule
The electronic logging device (ELD) rule is intended to help create a safer work environment for drivers, and make it easier, faster to accurately track, manage, and share records of duty status (RODS) data.
For carriers using AOBRDs (automatic onboard recording devices) before the rule compliance date December 18, 2017, the rule will replace AOBRDs with ELDs over a four-year implementation period.
An ELD synchronizes with a vehicle engine to automatically record driving time, for easier, more accurate hours of service (HOS) recording.
The rule applies to most carriers and drivers who are required to maintain RODS.
The ELD Rule:
- Specifies who is covered by the rule and exceptions to it.
- Provides for ELDS to be certified, registered, and listed on a FMCSA website.
- Includes technical specifications to ensure ELDs are standardized and compliant.
- Includes a phased implementation timeline to give drivers and carriers time to comply.
- Includes provisions to help prevent data tampering and harassment of drivers.
- Creates standard data displays and data transfer processes, making it easier to demonstrate compliance and faster to share RODS with safety officials.
ELD Rule Impacts
Carriers and Drivers who are subject to the rule must install and use ELDs by the appropriate deadline:
- Carriers and drivers who are using paper logs or logging software must transition to ELDs no later than December 18, 2017.
- Carriers and drivers who use AOBRDS prior to the compliance date must transition to ELDs no later than December 16, 2019.
Enforcement Partners must understand enforcement and compliance procedures during each implementation phase, and which regulatory guidance applies to each.
ELD Manufacturers must conform to ELD technical specifications, certify their ELDs, and register them with FMCSA.
ELD Implementation National Tour
Learn more about FMCSA’s ELD Implementation National Tour 2017 on the ELD events page.