Innovative Technology Deployment (ITD) Program
FMCSA’s Innovative Technology Deployment (ITD) program empowers States to apply cutting-edge technology to the challenge of improving highway safety. Together, we reduce commercial motor vehicle crashes, increase safety, and improve efficiency for all.
ITD Program Goals
By supporting the implementation of effective technologies, FMCSA aims to:
- Improve safety and productivity of motor carriers, commercial vehicles, and their drivers.
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of commercial vehicle safety programs by using data to determine which carriers pose the greatest safety risk.
- Improve security and sharing of commercial vehicle data within States and between States and FMCSA.
- Simplify enforcement operations by automating data collection, transfer, and display.
- Reduce costs associated with enforcing Federal and State safety regulations.
- Achieve nationwide deployment of the program.
The ITD discretionary grant provides financial and technical assistance to States to deploy, operate, and maintain innovative technologies that improve roadway safety, including information systems and networks that support electronic enforcement tools. ITD Grants fall under FMCSA’s High Priority (HP) Grant Program. For more information, including how to apply, visit FMCSA’s ITD Grant page.
FMCSA is committed to providing States with the resources and information they need to implement effective ITD programs. Visit the ITD website at https://itd.fmcsa.dot.gov to learn about our: