Passenger Carrier Regulatory Information
Please note that these online resources are not intended to substitute for the actual regulations. You can find information and can search the full Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) under the FMCSA website’s Regulations tab.
- A Motor Carrier’s Guide to Improving Highway Safety: Information on regulations that apply to all commercial motor carriers.
- Understanding Passenger Carrier Regulations: Information and publications explaining when and how educational and faith-based organizations and other businesses and organizations are subject to motor carrier safety regulations.
- Guidelines and Driver Qualifications for Passenger Motor Carriers Part 390: Relevant excerpts from Part 390 (General Applicability and Regulations).
- Guidelines and Driver Qualifications for Passenger Motor Carriers Part 391: Relevant excerpts from Part 391 (Qualifications of Drivers).
- Legal Notice for Motorcoach Operations: Overview of registration and operating authority requirements, driver qualifications, and Americans with Disabilities Act regulations.
- Licensing and Insurance Requirements for For-Hire Motor Carriers of Passengers (Parts 365 & 387): Information on when organizations or companies are required to obtain operating authority from FMCSA and maintain liability insurance to protect passengers. Also available in Spanish.
- Motor Carrier Inspection, Repair and Maintenance: Relevant excerpts from Part 396.
- Small Passenger Vehicles in Interstate Commerce:
Regulations for interstate carriers receiving direct or indirect compensation.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements for Over-the-Road Bus Companies: Information about the U.S. Department of Transportation's (DOT) requirements.
- Summary of Hours of Service Regulations: Brief summary of the Hours of Service limits for passenger carrier drivers.
- Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) Rule: Provides information on implementation of the ELD rule. The rule requires motor carriers to use ELDs to record driver duty status, in accordance with the Hours of Service Regulations.
- Miscellaneous Passenger Carrier Regulations (Part 374): This page presents regulations pertaining to Discrimination; Smoking Prohibition; Adequacy of Intercity Motor Carrier Passengers Services; Baggage Excess Value Declaration; and Incidental Charter Rights.
- Seat Belt Requirements and Other Occupant Protection Standards for Buses: Information related to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for passenger vehicles
Last updated: Tuesday, January 7, 2020