USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Owner Operator

Q1. Are Owner-Operators that operate commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) on the public roads that require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) subject to DOT drug and alcohol testing? Please refer to 382.107  to find definition of CMV.

A1. Yes, any person operating a CMV requiring a CDL in intrastate or interstate commerce is required to participate in a DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program.  Please see 382.305 question 11.Owner-operators must register with a consortium and participate in the Consortium’s random testing pool.A Consortium/Third-Party Administrator (C/TPAs) is an entity  that manages all, or part, of an employer's DOT drug and alcohol testing program - See more at:  Suggestions on how to find a DOT consortium are provided  below.

Please be advised, FMCSA does not approve or endorse C/TPAs (e.g. service agents).

Suggestions on how to find a consortium and participate in a DOT Drug and Alcohol Program:

  • Go to [external link] or other internet search site and type in the key words Consortium DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing owner-operator.
  • Seek advice from motor carrier industry or trucking related organizations in your area.
  • Search the yellow pages.

For additional questions please refer to The Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy and Compliance (ODAPC) FAQS.


Last updated: Wednesday, April 11, 2018