Please note: Beginning December 12, 2015, OP-series forms can ONLY be used to apply for additional authorities, not for initial registration with FMCSA. First-time applicants will be required to use the Unified Registration System. For more information about URS, or to apply for the first time, click here.
The type(s) of Operating Authority requested will impact the type and level of insurance that is required by FMCSA. Therefore, carefully select only the type(s) of Operating Authority relevant to the business and read the instructions before filing. FMCSA does not refund application fees. Descriptions of the different types of interstate Operating Authority for which carriers would file the OP-1 form are as follows:
- Freight Forwarder Authority - Form OP-1 (FF) Instructions
- Motor Passenger Carrier Authority - Form OP-1 (P) Instructions
- Non-North America-Domiciled Motor Carriers - Form OP-1 (NNA) Instructions
- Mexico-based Carriers for Motor Carrier Authority to Operate Beyond U.S. Municipalities and Commercial Zones on the U.S.-Mexico Border (Includes Instructions in Spanish) - Form OP-1 (MX) Instructions
- Mexican Certificate of Registration for Foreign Motor Carriers and Foreign Motor Private Carriers Under 49 U.S.C. 13902 - Form OP-2 Instructions