Brokers who are registering for the first time must apply for broker authority with the FMCSA via the Unified Registration System (URS) as of December 12, 2015. For more information about URS, or to apply for the first time, click here. After the MC Number has been assigned, to complete the application process, brokers must also take the following steps:
- For brokers of property: Proof of Insurance Coverage: a Surety Bond (Form BMC-84) or Trust Fund Agreement (Form BMC-85) in the amount of $75,000.
- For brokers of household goods: Proof of Insurance Coverage: a Surety Bond (Form BMC-84) or Trust Fund Agreement (Form BMC-85) in the amount of $75,000.
- Form BOC-3, Designation of Process Agent Form (brokers may designate themselves as their own process agents in the State in which they are writing contracts)
- Application processing fee: $300 (non-refundable) charged during the application process
- Application processing time: Approximately 4-6 weeks
Existing Brokers or Carriers:
After December 12, 2015, entities with existing authorities or USDOT number registrations will using existing forms/processes to update their authority or apply for an additional authority:
- By mail: Once you have completed the OP-1 form, you must print the completed form and mail it to the address indicated on the form.
- Request the form by phone: You can call 800-832-5660 to have a form mailed to you. Once you have completed the form, you can mail it to the address indicated on the form.