Updating Your Registration or Authority
Any time a carrier or other regulated entity changes its name or address, or other details in their record, they should update their US DOT and operating authority record with FMCSA in a timely manner. In addition, FMCSA requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years:
US DOT Numbers:
Operating Authority (MC/FF Numbers):
To view a company’s current information, go to the SAFER System’s Company Snapshot. Updates can be done online via the FMCSA online registration system with your US DOT PIN, or by filing an MCS-150 form. See below for more information on updating your US DOT number information.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years. You are required to provide this update every two years even if your company has not changed its information, has ceased interstate operations since the last update, or is no longer in business and you did not notify FMCSA.
Failure to complete a Biennial Update will result in deactivation of your USDOT number and may result in civil penalties of up to $1,000 per day, not to exceed $10,000.
Updating your information is free. We have included instructions below to help you complete your biennial update.
Filing schedule: Each motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider must file the appropriate form at the following times:
- Before it begins operations; and
- Every 24 months according to the following schedule:
|USDOT number ending in:||Must file by last day of:|
If the next-to-last digit of its USDOT Number is odd, the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider shall file its update in every odd-numbered calendar year. If the next-to-last digit of the USDOT Number is even, the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider shall file its update in every even-numbered calendar year.
- In order to complete the registration online, you'll need your USDOT number, assigned PIN, EIN/SSN, and Company Official information. You can request a PIN mailed or e-mailed to you.
- Carriers needing to complete the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MCS-150) OR the Combined Identification and Hazardous Materials Safety Permit Application (MCS-150B) may do so online through the FMCSA Registration Website.
- Print an updated MCS-150 form for your records upon completion of the online registration if you prefer a hard copy.
If the carrier doesn’t have a USDOT PIN number, and their mailing address in MCMIS is outdated, they can’t submit a request for a PIN number to be mailed to them. They have 2 options:
- Submit a completed and signed MCS-150 via Fax
- Submit a completed MCS-150 via US Mail
- Scan and upload a completed, printed and signed MCS-150 to our web form (this is the best option and will provide you with a tracking number for your submission)
- U.S. Mail
Important note for hard copy registrations: Forms must be received by FMCSA on or before the date your Biennial Update is due to avoid deactivation of your USDOT number and the assessment of civil penalties. Please allow ample time for mailing.
Registration forms can also be downloaded here or you can request to have a pre-printed form faxed to you by calling FMCSA Support Services at 1-800-832-5660 (Select option 3 then pick the option for the form you need).
For Hazardous Materials Safety Permit Carriers only:
- Form MCS-150B and Instructions - Combined Motor Carrier Identification Report and HM Permit Application
Complete, sign, and date the form, and submit it to FMCSA for processing.
You can submit the form via the following methods:
- Web form: https://ask.fmcsa.dot.gov/app/ask
- Fax: 202-366-3477
- Mail: U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Attention: Office of Registration and Safety Information
1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC 20590
Intermodal Equipment Providers (IEPs)
IEPs are unable to perform an online update at this time. Download the Intermodal Equipment Provider Identification Report form (MCS-150C) and complete, sign, and date the form, and mail it to the address above. Form MCS-150C and Instructions - Intermodal Equipment Provider Identification Report