About this Form
Please note: After December 12, 2015, MCS-150 forms can ONLY be used to update a USDOT number, not for initial registration with FMCSA. First-time applicants must use the Unified Registration System (URS). For more information about URS, or to apply for the first time, click here.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) registration process requires that companies define the type of business operation (Motor Carrier, Broker, Shipper, Freight Forwarder and/or Cargo Tank Facility) that they plan to establish. FMCSA’s responsibilities include monitoring and enforcing compliance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) and the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) governing both safety and financial responsibility.
The Agency’s focus on both concerns is reflected in the dual path of its current registration process. Companies may find that they are subject to both registration requirements - USDOT Number - and Interstate Operating Authority.
These instructions assume that the applicant has determined that a USDOT Number is required to update the US DOT number registration and that the MCS-150 form must be submitted. Again, this form can only be used to update existing registrations as of December 12, 2015.
There are two options for filing the necessary forms to update a USDOT Number:
- Completing and filing the required MCS-150 forms online, or
- Completing a printed copy and mailing to the FMCSA
FMCSA strongly encourages applicants to use the electronic online update process since it has built-in edit checks and simple yes-and-no questions for easy, accurate completion. It is also significantly faster than applying by mail. The estimated time to complete the form online is approximately 20 minutes.
Option 1: Filing Online (recommended)
- We encourage you to print all related form instructions prior to completing the online forms.
- To complete and submit application form(s), go to the FMCSA Online Registration System.
- Upon submission, a USDOT Number for the company is issued immediately, if the application is approved.
- FMCSA suggests that you record the USDOT Number that is assigned
Option 2: Filing Paper by Mail
- Submit all required MCS and/or OP forms together.
- Once the application is completed, FMCSA suggests making a copy for the company’s files.
- Mailed applications, on average, take four to six weeks processing time.
Mail completed application form(s) to:
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Office of Registration and Safety Information
Attn: Registration and Licensing Team
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Note: Applications that are incomplete, unreadable, or unsigned will be rejected and returned via mail, delaying the requested update of the company’s USDOT Number.