USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

What if there are problems?

Image of parents and two children unpacking moving boxes and jumping on bubble wrap next to an image of yellow bubble wrap that says “After Your Move”

When your move is complete, it’s important to take inventory to ensure all your belongings are where they should be. If you realize there is a problem, the FMCSA is here to help. Take the following actions to ensure you stay protected and get everything you’re entitled to.

Refer to your mover's dispute settlement program

Before moving your household goods, an interstate household goods carrier (mover) must provide you with information regarding their dispute settlement program. Movers must offer a neutral dispute settlement program as a means of settling disputes that may arise concerning loss or damage of your household goods.

File a claim for lost or damaged goods

If your goods are damaged or missing at delivery, request a company claim form from the mover. Complete the claim form to the best of your ability. The mover will tell you where to mail the completed form. You must file a written claim with the mover within 9 months of delivery. Your claim must be in writing but does not have to be submitted on a mover's claim form. It is suggested that you send the claims information to the mover by certified mail.

If you are not satisfied with the settlement offer made by the mover, you have the option of submitting a loss and damage claim with the mover's dispute settlement program or to seek other legal remedies.

Image of a woman on the phone, sitting next to a moving box with a computer on top

File a Complaint

FMCSA does not have the authority to resolve claims against a moving company. However, you may file a complaint against a mover by using our online complaint tool or calling 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238) between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm Monday through Friday Eastern Time. Your complaint may trigger a Federal enforcement investigation against the mover.

>> Next: Handling Disputes