Federal Initiatives - Military Transportation
FMCSA works closely with a diverse group of Federal partners to make opportunities available to U.S. Military Service members and veterans taking advantage of training and experience as they consider transitioning to a civilian job in the transportation industry.
The Department of Defense as well as each of the military service branches host pre-separation programs to assist service members prepare for a career outside the military.
- DoD SkillBridge Connecting transitioning Service members to career job training opportunities. The DoD SkillBridge program is an opportunity for Service members to gain valuable civilian work experience through specific industry training, apprenticeships, or internships during the last 180 days of service. SkillBridge connects Service members with industry partners in real-world job experiences. Separating Service members can be granted up to 180 days of permissive duty to focus solely on training full-time with approved industry partners after unit commander (first O-4/Field Grade commander in chain of command) provides written authorization and approval. Industry partners offer real-world training and work experience in in-demand fields of work while having the opportunity to evaluate the Service member’s suitability for the work.
- Soldier for Life program connects U.S. Army, governmental, and community efforts to build relationships that help reintegrate soldiers, retired soldiers, veterans, and their families within their communities.
- Marine for Life connects transitioning Marines (TM) with employer, educational and community resources that aid in career and life goals outside military service.
- NAVY COOL the Department of Navy’s Credentialing Opportunities website represents the joint effort, close coordination and shared resources that support the Navy and Marine Corps COOL programs adding value for sailors and Marines while they serve and as they transition to civilian life.
- Air Force COOL provides a one-stop for airmen to explore credentials recognized by the civilian community that can enhance airmen's current performance in their AF job.
- Public Private Partnership (P3) is the Army Reserve office serving as the single point of entry for all organizations seeking a partner with the Army Reserve. The P3program helps corporate partners attract, develop and retain talent by establishing employment partnerships for Army Reserve Soldiers, transitioning Active Component Soldiers, eligible veterans, and dependents seeking civilian employment.
- Citizen Solider for Life is a program tailored to Army National Guard Soldiers transitioning from 180 days of continuous active duty to National Guard status or out of the service.
The U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOLs) VETS and Apprenticeship offices.
- The DOL VETS office serves America's veterans and separating service members by preparing them for meaningful careers, providing employment resources and expertise, and protecting their employment rights.
- The DOL Apprenticeship office offers truck, train, and bus drivers and mechanics, to electrical technicians and vehicle inspectors. Apprenticeship offices are training thousands of workers in America's transportation, logistics and distribution industry. Apprenticeship training helps companies innovate and stay competitive in the global economy, and ensures transportation workers have the knowledge and skills needed for today and tomorrow.
Feds Hire Vets provides information on the federal hiring process and links to job opportunities for veterans.
USA.gov Employment, Education, and Training for Veterans describes educational benefits for services members, veterans and their families, and employment and job training for veterans.
USAJOBS - Veterans provides information on the Veterans’ Preference for federal employment.
U.S. Department of the Interior Veterans Employment Programs provides information and links to veteran employment programs and resources.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Employment Information provides information to help veterans find a job, start a business, and use VA education and training benefits.
U.S. Office of Personnel Management Veterans Services describes how OPM supports federal employment for veterans, with links to other government programs and resources.
U.S. DOT Veterans Transportation Career Center provides links to Department of Transportation career programs for individuals with relevant military transportation and related experience.