Safe Drive Apprenticeship Pilot (SDAP) Program Overview
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), also known as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), Section 23022, requires the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to establish an apprenticeship pilot program that would allow drivers between the ages of 18-20 with an intrastate commercial driver’s license to operate interstate commerce under very specific conditions.
To meet this requirement, FMCSA established the Safe Driver Apprenticeship Pilot Program (SDAP). This three-year program will help individuals ages 18, 19, and 20 explore interstate trucking careers and help trucking companies hire and train new drivers through an apprenticeship pilot program.
On January 14, 2022, FMCSA announced in a Federal Register Notice (FRN) the establishment of the SDAP Program. The Program allows certain 18-, 19-, and 20-year-old drivers to operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce. The FRN provides details about the pilot program.
Interested in spreading the word about SDAP? Visit our toolkit.
Information for Motor Carriers
- Use the How to Apply guide to successfully enroll your company in the SDAP program.
- Determine if your company meets the required equipment safety and hiring standards on the SDAP fact sheet available to you.
- FMCSA is committed to reviewing your motor carrier application and notifying you of the decision within 30 days of receipt of the application.
- Hiring apprentices will help shape your future workforce and grow your business, improve productivity, and reduce turnover. Drivers who complete the Department of Labor apprenticeship program are less likely to pursue employment elsewhere.
- Recruit and develop a diverse and highly skilled workforce.
Information for Drivers
Are you 18-20 years old with an intrastate commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs) looking to expand your career to commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in interstate commerce? If so, the SDAP program is for you.
- Find more information on the SDAP Fact Sheet.
- FMCSA is committed to reviewing your driver applications within 14 days of receipt of the application.
- Discover a list of current SDAP approved motor carriers and apply to open jobs as soon as you are approved.