U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Deputy Administrator Cathy F. Gautreaux today announced the 2017 Road Safety Student Art Contest winners. Top honors go to 2nd grader Avni Choudepally of Morrisville, North Carolina, and 4th grader Lynn Sun of Livingston, New Jersey.
The winners announced today exhibited exemplary creativity in communicating why all who share the road should make safety their top priority.
The contest was open to all students in kindergarten through sixth grade. Previously known as the Be Ready, Be Buckled Safety Belt Art Contest, this year’s contest expanded from emphasizing the importance of seat belt use to educating passenger vehicle drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians about sharing the road with commercial motor vehicles and working together to reduce crashes.
“All of the students who participated in this year’s contest are frequent passengers in vehicles or pedestrians themselves, so now is the perfect time to engage them in the importance of road safety,” said Deputy Administrator Gautreaux. “The winners impressed and inspired me with their originality and creativity.”
The contest is organized by the Our Roads, Our Safety Partnership and the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Belt Partnership, which includes FMCSA and more than 30 other government, safety, industry, and private organizations. These partnerships are essential to amplifying safety messages about buckling up and understanding the challenges and special considerations when traveling near or around buses and large trucks.
The two winning entries will hang in FMCSA’s headquarters and FMCSA will coordinate with each school’s administration to honor the winners. The entries from the following 12 students (two grand prize and 10 honorable mention entries) will be featured in the 2018 Road Safety art contest calendar:
- *Avni Choudepally, 2nd grade, Morrisville, North Carolina
- *Lynn Sun, 4th grade, Livingston, New Jersey
- Tarikka Ahswin, 5th grade, Plainsboro, New Jersey
- Gilenia Augustus, 2nd grade, McKinney, Texas
- Daniel Chia, 1st grade, Alhambra, California
- Bruce Rui Elvin, 2nd grade, New Canaan, Connecticut
- Meaghan Li, 3rd grade, Orlando, Florida
- Ethan Liu, 2nd grade, Belle Mead, New Jersey
- McKayla Meana, 6th grade, Kapolei, Hawaii
- Srikari Mudunuri, Kindergarten, Fremont, California
- Bryan Qi, 5th grade, Livingston, New Jersey
- Inuli Tilakaratne, 3rd grade, Darnestown, Maryland
*Grand prize winners
To learn more about the Road Safety Student Art Contest and to see the winning entries, visit https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/OurRoadsArtContest.