Truck and Bus Traffic Enforcement
FMCSA’s Truck and Bus Traffic Enforcement Training (TBTE) was developed by NTC in collaboration with law enforcement and designed to enhance officers’ knowledge about the dangers of unsafe truck and bus driving behaviors. The training is designed for all law enforcement officers, not just inspectors. It is available and free to all law enforcement officers and agencies, who can adapt the training course to suit their needs.
Through this training, law enforcement officers will learn about:
- Violations that cause crashes
- Safety concerns before, during, and after vehicle stops
- Documentation requirements
- Indicators of severe vehicle defects
- Specific citation procedures
All instructor and student materials are free and available for download below.
A TBTE “train-the-trainer” course is available to FMCSA personnel. To schedule this 4-hour course, contact the NTC.
|Course Guides||Course guides for in-person training.|
|Self-Guided Course||Interactive eLearning course for those unable to attend in-person training (1 hour duration).||Self-Guided eLearning Course|
|Full Course Materials||Instructor-led training for classroom delivery. Includes all materials. (To download training segments individually, see list below.)||
Need help? Download instructions
You may also download individual training segments using the links below. Materials are available in either PowerPoint, with slide animations and speaker notes, or PDF.
- TBTE Introduction: PowerPoint / PDF
- A Culture of Enforcement: PowerPoint / PDF
- Motor Vehicle Law Violations: PowerPoint / PDF
- Making the Stop: PowerPoint / PDF
- Personal Safety: PowerPoint / PDF
- Interacting with the Operator: PowerPoint / PDF
- Citing and Reporting: PowerPoint / PDF
- After the Stop: PowerPoint / PDF
- Suspicious Criminal Activity: PowerPoint / PDF
- Summary and Resources: PowerPoint / PDF
Download the TBTE Lesson Plan
Use the materials below to inform your agency about the TBTE training.
A tri-fold brochure that provides an overview of the TBTE training and what students can expect to learn.
These can be posted around agency offices to remind law enforcement about some of the key learnings from the TBTE training.
|Drug Trafficking||Human Trafficking||Making the Stop||Moving Fraud||Patrol Your Area|
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.