Challenge yourself through service. Help save lives. Join us.
The mission of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is to prevent crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses. If you want to make a difference and save lives, we want you to join us.
Safety is Not Simple – It’s Our Passion.
Meeting our safety mission requires effective policies and rules. But they are only as good as the dedicated people who enforce them. All our work is geared to helping drivers, truck and bus companies, and the public share the roads safely (Our Roads, Our Safety) so that people and goods all arrive at their destination safe and sound.
You can become an integral part our safety mission. FMCSA offers a variety of opportunities for career advancement in one of our many field locations across the country or at our U.S. Department of Transportation headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Advantages of Working at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- World-renowned leader in transportation safety
- Cutting-edge technology and transportation initiatives
- Creative, innovative, talented, and diverse workforce
- Competitive employee benefits and service
- Flexible work schedules/telework
- Opportunity for personal and professional growth
For more details about benefits for Federal employees, please visit USA.gov.
Please download the FMCSA Recruiting Flyer and see how you can begin your career with FMCSA.
Mission Critical Occupations
Search for Current Vacancy Announcements
The Federal application process can be challenging. Federal résumés require more detail than standard résumés. The most effective résumés for Federal jobs clearly and specifically relate back to how your skills make you right for the job. Align your skills, education and experience to the selection criteria in the vacancy announcement. This is one place where multiple page résumés can perform better than one-page résumés. You should always tailor your résumé for any job application.
Are You a Student or Recent Graduate?
Jump-start your career with an exciting position at FMCSA. With training and mentorship – you will be on your way to a dynamic career.
In 2010, the President issued an Executive Order opening the doors to recent graduate to careers in the Federal government. The Pathways Recent Graduate Program offers growth experiences with the possibility for career appointment to civil service employment.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution are eligible.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, may apply within two years of discharge or six years from the receipt of the degree, whichever comes first.
- Announcements for the Pathways program have specific requirements for education and will be posted on USAJOBS.
- Visit the USAJOBS Students and Recent Graduates page for video tutorials and other tools to start your job search.
- Search for current recent graduate opportunities on www.usajobs.gov.
- Create a government résumé and upload to USAJobs.gov. Note: as stated above, these are different than the traditional one or two page résumé in the private sector. For Federal résumé writing tips, try searching for “sample résumé for Federal government job” on the Internet.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
The Federal government is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Hiring and advancement in the Federal government are based on qualifications and job performance. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors.