FMCSA's Previous Crash Preventability Demonstration Program
From August 1, 2017 through September 30, 2019, FMCSA accepted eligible crashes that occurred from June 1, 2017 through July 31, 2019. The Demonstration Program is now closed.
The following crash types were eligible for participation in the program:
- When the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) was struck by a motorist driving under the influence (or related offense);
- When the CMV was struck by a motorist driving the wrong direction;
- When the CMV was struck in the rear;
- When the CMV was struck while legally stopped or parked, including when the vehicle was unattended;
- When the CMV was struck by an individual committing or attempting to commit suicide by stepping or driving in front of the CMV;
- When the CMV sustained disabling damage after striking an animal in the roadway;
- When the crash was a result of an infrastructure failure, falling trees, rocks, or other debris; or
- When the CMV was struck by cargo or equipment from another vehicle.
Information on the Demonstration Program was published in the following Federal Register notices: