COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
OFFICIAL ORDER N0.111213
SUBJECT: DECLARATION OF EMERGENCY FOR DAMAGE CAUSED BY STORMS
WHEREAS, on July 20, 2018, Kentucky experienced an extraordinary outbreak of severe weather consisting of hurricane force winds, super cells, tornadoes, and flash flooding, all resulting in injuries, loss of life and significant damage and destruction across the Commonwealth; and
WHEREAS, these conditions continue to endanger public health and safety and threats tb public and private property; and
WHEREAS state and local governments share in the protection and restoration of the public health, safety, and security of its citizens and to take appropriate actions to ensure essential public service;
WHEREAS, the Governor has directed all state agencies to take all necessary steps as needed in response to this emergency; and
WHEREAS, 49 CFR, Part 395, KRS 25 I. 730, 60 I KAR I :005 impose maximum driving time upon drivers of motor carriers delivering certain relief supplies;
NOW, THEREFORE, pursuant to the authority vested in me by virtue of KRS 281.730, 49 CFR 390.23, I hereby declare:
1. That a state of emergency exists requiring relief from the hours of service imposed upon the transporters of relief supplies, to include food, water, medicine and other commodities within the affected areas. This shall also include any utility vehicle responding to affected areas in response to power restoration and debris removal. This shall only apply to those truck drivers transporting goods or the restoration of utilities as part of the relief effort.
2. That commercial motor vehicles and their operators transporting relief supplies to the affected areas shall be exempt from permit fees for overweight/overdimensional vehicles during the period of emergency;
3. That the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation is authorized to waive certain size and weight restrictions as they determine to be appropriate to meet the needs of the affected areas. In order to insure the safety of the traveling public and its infrastructure, the carrier must obtain all necessary permits for route verification.
4. That the IRP Registration Requirements for vehicles providing relief services and relief supplies to the affected areas shall be waived;
5. That all other safety requirements shall remain in full force and effect;
6. That any driver operating under authority of this Declaration of Emergency shall have a copy of this Declaration in the cab of the vehicle;
7. This Declaration of Emergency shall remain in effect until 12:01 AM E.S.T., July 30, 20l8.
This Order is effective July 21, 2012.
Greg Thomas Secretary
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Done this 23th day of July, 2018 at Frankfort, Kentucky
Approved as to form and legality:
Office of Legal Services