You are here

Getting Started - Registration

The first step to safe operations is operating legally. Before a motor carrier of property or passengers begins interstate operations, it must register with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and receive a USDOT number. In addition, most for-hire motor carriers must obtain operating authority from FMCSA. The Registration & Assistance: USDOT Number/Operating Authority link on the FMCSA home page will walk you through the steps to operating legally and help you determine if you need a USDOT Number and/or Operating Authority.

  • Other Registration Requirements
  • Guidance for New Carriers (New Entrant Program)
  • Hazardous Materials Regulations
Updated: Monday, March 17, 2014
Submit Feedback >