- FMCSA’s commitment to serving our veterans and assisting efforts to attract and retain skilled commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers is bolstered by several FAST Act provisions.
- An FMCSA rule will provide military personnel with a time extension to apply for a skills test waiver and also permit active duty military personnel to apply and be tested for their commercial learner’s permits and commercial driver’s license in the State where they are stationed.
- FMCSA will establish a process that allows veteran operators to obtain their DOT medical certification exams from their Department of Veterans Affairs physician.
- The CMV Operator Safety Training grant program will provide grant funds to commercial driver training schools that train veterans to transition into civilian motor carrier careers.
- The FAST Act military pilot program will allow select military personnel ages 18, 19 and 20 years of age to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce.
Updated: Tuesday, November 6, 2018