USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Site Notification

Site Notification

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

How do I notify FMCSA of my Operating Authority (OA) ownership change?

How do I notify FMCSA of my Operating Authority (OA) ownership change?

If you are transferring (selling) your OA, you may need to request a Transfer of Operating Authority by submitting a written request. Before sending the request, please note:

  • A transfer of operating authority means there has been a change in ownership, management, or control of the company but the company intends to keep its existing Docket number (MC/FF/MX).
  • FMCSA must record all transfers of operating authority to recognize the transferee (buyer/new owner).
  • There is no fee to request a transfer of OA.
  • The transferee (buyer) may need a new USDOT number (on a case-by-case basis).
  • USDOT numbers are not transferrable. For more information click here.
  • Once the Transfer request is recorded in FMCSA systems, the transferee must comply with financial responsibility and process agent designation (proof of insurance and BOC-3 form) requirements.
  • There are some instances where an entity may be able to report a Name Change for its OA instead of a Transfer. For more information click here.

Once you have determined that a Transfer of OA must be filed, a complete and accurate written request must be submitted to FMCSA. To avoid delays, the request must include the following:

Transferor (Seller) Transferee (Buyer)
Company Name Company Name
Doing Business As (DBA) or Trade Name Doing Business As (DBA) or Trade Name
Form of Business (Corporation, Partnership, or Sole Proprietorship) Form of Business (Corporation, Partnership, or Sole Proprietorship)
USDOT # (except brokers) USDOT # (if any)
Docket # (MC/FF/MX) Docket # (MC/FF/MX)
Business Address Business Address
Business Phone Number Business Phone Number
Name of Business Owner(s) Name of Business Owner(s)
Transferor Signature Transferee Signature
Date Transfer took place Date Transfer took place

MCS-150 Form: The transferor must submit a signed MCS-150 form indicating "out of business" as the reason for filing. However, if planning to continue operating in intrastate commerce and/or as a private motor carrier, the reason for filing should be "biennial update or changes".

Once the transfer request is received, FMCSA will review and contact the requestor for any additional information needed.

After the request is recorded in FMCSA Systems:

  1. You will receive a letter in the mail instructing you to submit:
  2. The updated OA information will appear in the FMCSA Licensing & Insurance page and the OA status will be displayed as “Inactive” until the above requirements are met.
  3. Once the OA is Active, you can download a copy of your certificate/permit/license and a copy will also be mailed.

Submit your Transfer request using one of the options below:

Option 1: Submit a ticket through our website at Ask FMCSA using the Submit Us a Ticket icon at the top of the page, completing the required fields, and uploading your documents). This is the fastest option, and you will receive a confirmation number by email;

Option 2: Fax the form to 202-366-3477;

Option 3: Mail – (Please note this option will delay the process by minimum 2 weeks)

Office of Registration, MC-RS
ATTN: Transfers
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
US Department of Transportation
Mailstop W65-206
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20590

If you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-832-5660 or via our Ask FMCSA page.

Last Updated: