You are here

Does a motor carrier that participates in freight interlining have to register as a broker?

No. Anyone brokering a load must be registered as a broker, which by definition may only arrange -- not perform -- transportation unless the person is also separately registered as a motor carrier. A motor carrier that is performing part of the transportation as an interline operation, however, typically performs that service under its own motor carrier operating authority registration or the operating authority of the originating motor carrier. As a result, the motor carrier arranging the interline service in order to perform the transportation service requested by the shipper would not be brokering the load and would not require broker registration.

Last Updated : May 8, 2014
Submit Feedback >