Commonwealth Of Kentucky Official Order No 110961
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
TRANSPORTATION CABINET FRANKFORT, KY
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
OFFICIAL ORDER NO: 110961
SUBJECT: DECLARATION OF EMERGENCY FOR DAMAGE CAUSED BY HURRICANE IRMA
WHEREAS, a State of Emergency exists in several states due to Hurricane Irma, and the threat of heavy rainfall and flooding, which is forecast to occur throughout an area of the United States, which would impact commerce traveling through the Commonwealth, making it necessary to expedite the movement of vehicles and loads that are transporting various items needed to assist in this emergency and remain operational, and due to the potential for considerable damage and economic loss from storm winds and flooding due to Hurricane Irma this Order is necessary; and
WHEREAS, on September 5, 2017, President Trump issued an emergency declaration in response to the emergency conditions resulting from Hurricane Irma; and
WHEREAS, states are working in concert to assist with the relief efforts in the affected areas; and
WHEREAS, Hurricane Irma has caused an emergency of national scope and the Commonwealth of Kentucky has been requested to render mutual aid to assist in the and state disaster response; and
WHEREAS, commercial motor vehicles will be transporting food, clothing, equipment, other supplies and relief workers to the designated areas; and
WHEREAS, 49 CFR Part 395, KRS 2810730, 601 KAR 1:005 impose maximum driving time upon drivers of motor carriers delivering certain relief supplies; and
NOW, THEREFORE, pursuant to the authority vested in me by KRS 28 I. 730, 49 CFR 390.23, I hereby declare:
- That a state of emergency exists requiring relief from the hours of service imposed upon the transporters of relief supplies, to include food, water, medicine, petroleum, petroleum products, and other commodities within the affected areas. This shall also include any utility vehicle responding to affected areas in response to power restoration and debris removal. This Order shall only apply to those truck drivers involved in transporting goods, the restoration of utilities, and debris removal as part of the relief effort.
- That the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation shall waive all economic requirements normally associated with interstate motor transportation, tor all vehicles providing relief supplies to, and power restoration and debris removal for, the affected areas. Specifically, these motor carriers are authorized to travel through the Commonwealth of Kentucky without the payment of permit fees for oversized/overweight vehicles. To insure the safety of the traveling public and its infrastructure, the carrier must obtain the necessary permit(s) for route verification.
- That the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Department of Vehicle Regulation shall waive the requirements for commercial motor vehicles regarding IRP Registration requirements for those providing direct relief to the affected areas.
- That all other safety requirements shall remain in full force and effect;
- That any driver operating under authority of this Declaration of Emergency shall have a copy of this Declaration in the cab of the vehicle;
- This Declaration of Emergency shall remain in effect until 12:01 AM E.D.T., September 27, 2017.
This Order is effective September 8, 2017.
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Approved as to form and legality:
P. Kevin Moore
Office of legal Services