USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Site Notification

Site Notification

U.S. Department of Transportation U.S. Department of Transportation Icon United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Guidance Q&A Question 1: What if There are Problems?

Guidance Q&A

Question 1:  What if There are Problems?

Guidance:  Before moving consumer’s household goods, interstate movers are required to provide information regarding their dispute settlement program. Movers must offer a neutral dispute settlement program as a means of settling disputes that may arise concerning loss or damage of your household goods.

If goods are damaged or missing at delivery, request a company claim form from the mover and complete it. The mover will explain where to mail the completed form.  A claim must be in writing, but does not have to be submitted on a mover’s claim form.  However, the claim must be filed with the mover within 9 months of delivery.  It is suggested that claim information be sent to the mover in a manner t track receipt of the package such as certified mail.  If the consumer is not satisfied with the settlement offer made, the consumer may submit a claim under the mover’s dispute settlement program or seek other legal remedies.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) provides information to consumers on the Protect Your Move website ( to assist consumers in the event problems arise during or after their move.  

Regulatory Topic: Moving Problems
Effective Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016
Issued Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2016