2013 Safety Belt Fact Sheet
Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Belt Use in 2013 — Overall Results
The Seat Belt Usage by Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers (SBUCMVD) Survey showed that the overall safety belt usage rate for drivers of all medium and heavy duty trucks and buses rose from 78% in 2010 to a new high of 84% in 2013. The survey is a nationally representative field data collection program that provides estimates of safety belt restraint use by drivers and occupants of medium and heavy duty commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).
Other highlights from this study:
- Safety belt use was higher in states governed by primary belt use laws (85%) than secondary belt use laws (78%).
- The usage rate for drivers and other occupants in the West was 91% compared to the Northeast at 76%.
- Commercial bus drivers showed a marked increase in safety belt usage, from 47% to 74%. Dump truck drivers, with the lowest usage rate among trucks, rose from 65% to 70%.
- Usage rates were higher on expressways (86%) compared to surface streets (78%).
- Safety belt usage in heavy traffic (85%) continues to be higher than in light traffic (71%).