Safety Study Regarding Double-Decker Motorcoaches with Rear Luggage Compartment (FAST Act - Section 5510)
- Draft a work plan.
- Perform a literature review review of prior safety studies done on such vehicles operating in the United States or Europe or justifying an authorization to operate such vehicles in a State of the United States or a country in Europe. This includes any historical data on incidents, accidents, or fires involving such vehicles.
- Perform an engineering analysis to determine if such vehicles comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108, “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment;” FMVSS 111, “Rearview Mirrors;” FMVSS 119, “New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars;” FMVSS 120, “Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars;” FMVSS 121, “Air Brake Systems;” Society of Automotive Engineers J695, “Turning Ability and Off-Tracking;” Federal Bridge Formula, Federal weight limits, and applicable industry fire safety standards of the American Public Transportation Association, National Fire Protection Association, etc.
- Prepare a research plan in order to design field tests to gather data, which are neither practical nor cost-effective to determine from the engineering analysis.
- Implement the research plan at the test track and other facilities at the Transportation Research Center, East Liberty, OH, after it has been subjected to a peer-review.
- Compile a final report based on the results of the literature review, engineering analysis, and implementation of the research plan.
August 2016: Work plan accepted; literature review and analysis completed.
August 2016: Consultation with the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) completed.
October 2016: Engineering analysis due.
December 2016: Research plan peer-reviewed.
March 2017: Implementation of research plan.
June 2017: Final report and briefing to FMCSA senior management.