- § 383.1
Purpose and scope.
- § 383.3
- § 383.5
- § 383.7
Validity of CDL issued by decertified State.
- § 383.21
Number of drivers' licenses.
- § 383.23
Commercial driver's license.
- § 383.25
Commercial learner's permit (CLP).
- § 383.31
Notification of convictions for driver violations.
- § 383.33
Notification of driver's license suspensions.
- § 383.35
Notification of previous employment.
- § 383.37
- § 383.51
Disqualification of drivers.
- § 383.52
Disqualification of drivers determined to constitute an imminent hazard.
- § 383.53
- § 383.71
Driver application and certification procedures.
- § 383.72
Implied consent to alcohol testing.
- § 383.73
- § 383.75
Third party testing.
- § 383.77
Substitute for driving skills tests for drivers with military CMV experience.
- § 383.79
Skills testing of out-of-State students.
- § 383.91
Commercial motor vehicle groups.
- § 383.93
- § 383.95
- § 383.110
- § 383.111
- § 383.113
- § 383.115
Requirements for double/triple trailers endorsement.
- § 383.117
Requirements for passenger endorsement.
- § 383.119
Requirements for tank vehicle endorsement.
- § 383.121
Requirements for hazardous materials endorsement.
- § 383.123
Requirements for a school bus endorsement.
- § 383.131
- § 383.133
- § 383.135
Passing knowledge and skills tests.
- § 383.141
- § 383.151
- § 383.153
Information on the CLP and CDL documents and applications.
- § 383.155
COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE STANDARDS; REQUIREMENTS AND PENALTIES
§ 383.1: Purpose and scope.
(a) The purpose of this part is to help reduce or prevent truck and bus accidents, fatalities, and injuries by requiring drivers to have a single commercial motor vehicle driver's license and by disqualifying drivers who operate commercial motor vehicles in an unsafe manner.
(b) This part:
(1) Prohibits a commercial motor vehicle driver from having more than one commercial motor vehicle driver's license;
(2) Requires a driver to notify the driver's current employer and the driver's State of domicile of certain convictions;
(3) Requires that a driver provide previous employment information when applying for employment as an operator of a commercial motor vehicle;
(4) Prohibits an employer from allowing a person with a suspended license to operate a commercial motor vehicle;
(5) Establishes periods of disqualification and penalties for those persons convicted of certain criminal and other offenses and serious traffic violations, or subject to any suspensions, revocations, or cancellations of certain driving privileges;
(6) Establishes testing and licensing requirements for commercial motor vehicle operators;
(7) Requires States to give knowledge and skills tests to all qualified applicants for commercial drivers' licenses which meet the Federal standard;
(8) Sets forth commercial motor vehicle groups and endorsements;
(9) Sets forth the knowledge and skills test requirements for the motor vehicle groups and endorsements;
(10) Sets forth the Federal standards for procedures, methods, and minimum passing scores for States and others to use in testing and licensing commercial motor vehicle operators; and
(11) Establishes requirements for the State issued commercial license documentation.