Brokers must register with the FMCSA by filing the OP-1 Application for Motor Property Carrier and Broker Authority. After the MC Number has been assigned, to complete the application process, brokers must also take the following steps:
- For brokers of property: Proof of Insurance Coverage: a Surety Bond (Form BMC-84) or Trust Fund Agreement (Form BMC-85) in the amount of $75,000.
- For brokers of household goods: Proof of Insurance Coverage: a Surety Bond (Form BMC-84) or Trust Fund Agreement (Form BMC-85) in the amount of $75,000.
- Form BOC-3, Designation of Process Agent Form (brokers may designate themselves as their own process agents in the State in which they are writing contracts)
- Application processing fee: $300 (non-refundable)
- Application processing time: Approximately 4-6 weeks
How to Register
There are several ways to file for authority:
- Online: You can begin the online registration process for MC Number at Register or Update Registration Online.
- A credit card is required
- By mail: Once you have completed the OP-1 form, you must print the completed form and mail it to the address indicated on the form.
- Request the form by phone: You can call 800-832-5660 to have a form mailed to you. Once you have completed the form, you can mail it to the address indicated on the form.