The Commercial Vehicle Information Systems and Networks (CVISN) program is a key component of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA's) drive to improve commercial motor vehicle safety. The CVISN Program supports FMCSA's goals by
- focusing safety enforcement on high-risk operators;
- integrating systems to improve the accuracy, integrity, and verifiability of credentials;
- improving efficiency through electronic screening of commercial vehicles; and
- enabling online application and issuance of credentials.
- Improve safety
- Simplify operations, improve efficiency and freight mobility
- Improve security
- Achieve nationwide deployment, with all jurisdictions participating
- Improve safety and productivity of motor carriers, commercial vehicles and their drivers
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of commercial vehicle safety programs through targeted enforcement
- Improve commercial vehicle data sharing within states and between states and FMCSA
- Reduce federal/state and industry regulatory and administrative costs
Where to Start
If you are new to CVISN, we suggest you start by reading the Introductory Guide to CVISN. The FAQ page provides answers to basic questions about the CVISN program.