You are here

  • § 390.3
    General applicability.
  • § 390.5
  • § 390.9
    State and local laws, effect on.
  • § 390.15
    Assistance in investigations and special studies.
  • § 390.17
    Additional equipment and accessories.
  • § 390.21
    Marking of self-propelled CMVs and intermodal equipment.
  • § 390.23
    Relief from regulations.

Part 390

Section § 390.15: Assistance in investigations and special studies.

Below are the available interpretations for the given section. To return to the list of parts, use the Parts link above. The menu to the left provides a full list of sections that have interpretations. To view interpretations for a different section, click on the menu item.

The regulations text of the section can be found on the eCFR website. To view the regulations text, use the link below. For assistance, please send an email to
View regulations for Part 390

Question 1: May a motor carrier create an accident register of its own, or is there a specified form that must be used?

Guidance: There is no specified form. A motor carrier may create or use any accident register as long as it includes the elements required.

Question 2: Would the accident report retention requirement in §390.15(b)(2) include an "Adjuster’s Report" that is normally considered to be an internal document of an insurance company?

Guidance: No. The intent of §390.15(b)(2) is that motor carriers maintain copies of all documents which the motor carrier is required by the insurance company to complete and/or maintain. §390.15(b)(2) does not require motor carriers to maintain documents, such as "Adjuster’s Reports," that are typically internal documents of the insurance company.

Question 3: What types of documents must a motor carrier retain to support its accident register and be in compliance with §390.15(b)?

Guidance: The documents required by §390.15(b)(2) include all information about a particular accident generated by a motor carrier or driver to fulfill its accident reporting obligations to State or other governmental entities or that motor carrier’s insurer. The language of paragraph (b)(2) does not require a motor carrier to seek out, obtain, and retain copies of accident reports prepared by State investigators or insurers.

Question 4: Does a foreign-based motor carrier’s accident register have to include accidents that occur in Canada or Mexico?

Guidance: Motor carriers must record accidents occurring within the U.S. and on segments of interstate movements into Canada between the U.S.-Canadian border and the first physical delivery location of a Canadian consignee. The FHWA further believes its regulations require the documentation of accidents for segments of interstate movements out of Canada between the last physical pick-up location in Canada and the U.S.-Canadian border. The same would be true for movements between the U.S.-Mexican border and a point in Mexico. However, the FHWA does not have authority over Canadian and Mexican motor carriers that operate within their own countries where the transportation does not involve movements into or out of the United States.

Submit Feedback >