You are here

  • § 384.209
    Notification of traffic violations.
  • § 384.211
    Surrender of old licenses.
  • § 384.231
    Satisfaction of State disqualification requirement.

Part 384

Section § 384.209: Notification of traffic violations.

Below are the available interpretations for the given section. To return to the list of parts, use the Parts link above. The menu to the left provides a full list of sections that have interpretations. To view interpretations for a different section, click on the menu item.

The regulations text of the section can be found on the eCFR website. To view the regulations text, use the link below. For assistance, please send an email to
View regulations for Part 384

Question 1: Must a CDL holder’s out-of-State conviction for a traffic violation be included in the driving record of the State of licensure (and thus Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS)), if there are no traffic violation points assigned to the conviction?

Guidance: All out-of-State convictions of a CDL holder for traffic violations committed in any vehicle must be sent to the State of licensure, but only the convictions for offenses specified in 49 Code for Federal Regulations (CFR) 383.51 must be included in that State’s driving record (and thus Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS)). Assigning points to a conviction is strictly a State decision and has no bearing on the inclusion of the conviction. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) recommends the inclusion by the State of licensure of all convictions of a CDL holder for traffic violations committed in any vehicle, so that the State will have the full driver record available as an aid in making licensing decisions.

Question 2: Must the licensing agency establish a commercial driver record, including a Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS) pointer record, for a person holding a non-commercial license issued by that jurisdiction upon receiving notification of a conviction of any offense committed while (illegally) operating a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)?

Guidance: Yes

Submit Feedback >