You are here

  • § 383.3
  • § 383.5
  • § 383.21
    Number of drivers' licenses.
  • § 383.23
    Commercial driver's license.
  • § 383.31
    Notification of convictions for driver violations.
  • § 383.33
    Notification of driver's license suspensions.
  • § 383.37
    Employer responsibilities.
  • § 383.51
    Disqualification of drivers.
  • § 383.71
    Driver application and certification procedures.
  • § 383.73
    State procedures.
  • § 383.75
    Third party testing.
  • § 383.77
    Substitute for driving skills tests for drivers with military CMV experience.
  • § 383.91
    Commercial motor vehicle groups.
  • § 383.93
  • § 383.95
  • § 383.113
    Required skills.
  • § 383.131
    Test manuals.
  • § 383.133
    Test methods.
  • § 383.153
    Information on the CLP and CDL documents and applications.

Part 383

Section § 383.23: Commercial driver's license.

Below are the available interpretations for the given section. To return to the list of parts, use the Parts link above. The menu to the left provides a full list of sections that have interpretations. To view interpretations for a different section, click on the menu item.

The regulations text of the section can be found on the eCFR website. To view the regulations text, use the link below. For assistance, please send an email to
View regulations for Part 383

Question 1: [Removed and Reserved 76FR26854 May 9, 2011]


Question 2: [Removed and Reserved 76FR26854 May 9, 2011]


Question 3: Is a CDL required for Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) operations that occur exclusively in places where the general public is never allowed to operate, such as airport taxiways or other areas restricted from the public?


No. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) regulations would not require a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) driver to obtain a CDL under those circumstances. The Federal rules are minimum standards, however, and State law may require a CDL for operations not covered by part 383.

Question 4: [Removed and Reserved 76FR26854 May 9, 2011]


Question 5: May a foreign driver with a temporary work visa obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate a commercial motor vehicle in the United States?


A foreign driver holding a temporary work visa may obtain a nonresident CDL if he or she is domiciled in a foreign jurisdiction that does not test drivers and issue commercial licenses under standards equivalent to those in subparts F, G, and H of part 383 (see Section 383.23(b)). However, drivers from Canada and Mexico with temporary work visas are not eligible for nonresident CDLs because FMCSA has determined that commercial licenses issued by Canadian provinces and territories, and the United Mexican States, are in accordance with the standards established by our rules. Therefore, all Mexican and Canadian drivers must have an appropriate license from their home country. Finally, a foreign driver who is in this country on a temporary work visa may not obtain a resident CDL since he or she is not “domiciled” in a U.S. State, as defined in Section 383.5 (“state of domicile”).

Submit Feedback >