The National Registry website is currently under construction with limited functionality as described below.
***Between February 5th and 6th the National Registry system sent email notifications to certain Medical Examiners that they would be removed from the National Registry because system records indicated their credentials are expired or due to expire shortly. The notification was an error. FMCSA is not currently planning to remove any Medical Examiners from its National Registry based on out-of-date information.
Medical Examiners are required by the State(s) in which they practice to maintain a current license at all times and examiners with valid credentials may continue to conduct the DOT physical exams and issue medical certificates to truck and bus drivers, irrespective of the status of the National Registry website. FMCSA will notify all Medical Examiners when the National Registry website is restored.***
Although the National Registry is currently under construction, certified medical examiners can continue conducting physical qualification examinations of CMV drivers and issuing paper Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC), Form MCSA-5876 to qualified drivers. Medical examiners should segregate all examinations completed during the outage and be prepared to upload them to the National Registry system when it is back online, with no penalties.
Limited functionality for National Registry Medical Examiner lookup is available through two means: Zip Code and Medical Examiner’s National Registry number searches.
- Zip Code search.
- Type in the zip code you want to search and select Apply
- The result will be all the certified medical examiner in that zip code
- If the search yields no results, you can expand the area of the search by using just the first four numbers in the zip code. The resulting list will reflect an expanded geographic area around the desired zip code.
- Medical Examiner’s National Registry Number search. Obtain the certified Medical Examiner’s National Registry number from the Medical Examiner’s Certificate, Form MCSA-5876.
- Type in the medical examiners registration number and select Apply
- The search will provide the medical examiners name if they are on the registry
- If the search yields no result the number is not in the registry indicating the provider is not certified (Double check to insure the number, you input was not mistyped)
- You can always call your provider and obtain their Medical Examiner Number.
To search for or verify for a certified Medical Examiner on the National Registry click here.
Test Centers: FMCSA suggests you hold all the test results that need to be transmitted until the system is once again operational.