Hearing Exemption Application
The Department of Transportation DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has received your request for an exemption from Section 391.41(b)(11) of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations which prohibits an individual who do not pass the hearing requirement from operating a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce. The process to determine if such an exemption should be granted includes a thorough review of your medical records and any other documents that would support your request for an exemption from this regulation.
Please indicate the following specifically:
- Your name, address, date of birth, phone and email contact information.
- A copy of your driver’s license, front and back.
- The type of vehicle you would be driving, including gross vehicle weight rating.
- Fill out, sign and return the Release of Medical Information Form.
- A copy of your driving record (recent 3 years) from your State licensing authority.
- A statement that you drive in interstate commerce. (If you do not drive in interstate commerce, you are regulated by your state.
In order to grant an exemption, the Agency must ensure that each exemption would maintain a level of safety equivalent to, or greater than, the level achieved without the exemption. You must drive in interstate commerce in order to meet the qualifications for an exemption.
The Agency must carefully evaluate the application and, as required by 49 CFR U.S.C. 31315(b), prepare a Federal Register notice requesting public comment on the application for the exemption. In order to publish relevant medical information to the Federal Register docket, we are requesting that you complete and sign the enclosed Release of Information. After review of public comments received in response to the Federal Register notice, FMCSA will make a decision whether to grant or deny the exemption. You will be notified in writing once a final decision is made.
Please send the information to the address below:
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Medical Program Programs Division, W64-221
1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
Washington DC 20590
Fax (202) 366-1265
If you need assistance or have questions, please contact Medical Programs at (202) 366-4001.