Unified Registration System Technical Documentation
The Unified Registration System (URS) is a new electronic on-line registration system that will streamline and simplify the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) registration process and serve as a clearinghouse and depository of information on all entities regulated by the Agency, including motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, intermodal equipment providers (IEPs), hazardous materials safety permit (HMSP) applicants/holders, and cargo tank manufacturing and repair facilities. The URS will combine multiple registration processes, information technology systems and forms into a single, electronic online registration process.
FMCSA is extending the implementation date of the final stage of the URS beyond January 14, 2017 because additional time is needed to securely migrate data from multiple legacy platforms into a new central database and to conduct further compatibility testing with its State partners.
By moving the implementation date, FMCSA is providing its State partners more time to develop, update, and verify data connectivity and system reliability. The additional time will also enable the Agency to conduct more thorough training and to implement broader outreach and education activities that will provide for a seamless transition. On January 17, 2017, FMCSA published a Federal Register notice with more details on the suspension of the URS effectiveness date.
The following is technical documentation regarding upcoming changes to the existing FMCSA, State, and industry-based systems:
URS State Readiness Team Documentation
- State Readiness Review Frequently Asked Questions - November 15, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – November 30, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – November 23, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – November 16, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – November 9, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – November 2, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Review Team Meeting – October 26, 2016
- Draft meeting minutes – State Readiness Team Kick-Off Meeting – October 19, 2016
- Checklist for state users (only) that consume SAFER transaction files – November 29, 2016
Data Exchanges with State Agencies
- Slides for DRAFT SAFER ICD Conference Call - April 21, 2016
- Downstream Systems Meeting Minutes, March 8, 2016
- Downstream Systems Requirements, Volume 1, February 18, 2016
Click here to request sample data files.
Data Exchanges with Administrative Filers - Insurance, Surety Bond/Trust and Blanket Process Agent Companies:
Data Exchanges with Data For Fee Download Customers:
- URS - Operating Authority Registration Types - November 17, 2016
- URS - Motor Carrier File Format (Accessible) - January 11, 2017
User Acceptance Testing - Test Cases:
URS Technical Questions and Answers
Click here to ask a technical question.