To reinstate or reactivate your operating authority (MC, FF, or MX Docket Number), you must first:
- File your Proof of Insurance and Form BOC-3 (Designation of Process Agent) with FMCSA. Please see our Insurance Requirements website for more information; and
- Motor Carriers Only: Have an active USDOT Number with up-to-date contact information on file. Our systems will not allow users to request reinstatement if the USDOT Number is Inactive or Out of Service. You may submit a MCS-150 Form along with your reinstatement request to update your information.
The cost to request a reinstatement is $80.00. Authority is typically active within a week of application receipt and valid payment. FMCSA will notify you if your application is on hold, pending additional information or in vetting under review.
Passenger Carriers Only: You cannot request reinstatement if you have been placed Out of Service for being an "imminent hazard" or due to a final unsatisfactory safety rating ("UNSAT/UNFIT). Instead, re-apply for operating authority by using a paper OP-1(P) application form and paying the $300 application fee.
We are continuing to experience mailing delays due to COVID-19 and recommend that you request reinstatement using the below options. If you do choose to mail in your application and payment, please note that the processing time may take up to 8 weeks.
- Option 1: Request reinstatement online with your USDOT PIN here
- Option 2: Send a completed and signed MCSA-5889 Form to us by submitting a ticket via our ASK website (scroll to the bottom of the page, complete the required fields, and upload your document). This is the fastest option and you will receive a confirmation number by email.
Note: You may also use this same form to request name and address changes at the same time.
- Option 3: Fax the MCSA-5889 Form to 202-366-3477
- Option 4: Mail the MCSA-5889 Form with payment to:
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
P.O. Box 6200-33
Portland, OR 97228-6200