Given the diversity of the industry, FMCSA has identified five categories of supporting documents:
- Bills of lading, itineraries, schedules, or equivalent documents that show the starting and ending location for each trip;
- Dispatch records, trip records, or equivalent documents;
- Expense receipts related to “on-duty/not driving” periods (meals, lodging, fuel, etc.);
- Fleet management system communication records;
- Payroll records, settlement sheets, or equivalent documents showing payment to a driver.
Drivers using paper RODS must also keep toll receipts – which do not count toward the eight-document cap.
Did this answer your question? If not, please email ELD@dot.gov or call 1-800-832-5660 for more information.