You are here

May a motor carrier seeking to extend the period of time permitted for repair, replacement, or service of one or more ELDs request an extension?

Yes.  A motor carrier may file an ELD malfunction extension request via email, by submitting the extension request to  Include the legal name, principal place of business address and USDOT number of the motor carrier.  The extension request must include the following information:

  1. The name, address, and telephone number of the motor carrier representative who will file the request;
  2. The make, model, and serial number of each ELD;
  3. The date and location of each ELD malfunction as reported by the driver to the carrier; and
  4. A concise statement describing actions taken by the motor carrier to make a good faith effort to repair, replace, or service the ELD units, including why the carrier needs additional time beyond the 8 days provided by 49 CFR part 395.34.

To request an extension from the FMCSA Division Administrator in the Field Office in your state, you may contact the office directly. FMCSA Division Administrator contact information can be found here.

Did this answer your question? If not, please email or call 1-800-832-5660 for more information. 

Last Updated : June 29, 2018
Submit Feedback >