You are here

MAP–21 revised 49 U.S.C. 13906(c)(3)(C) to state that FMCSA may require freight forwarders to provide cargo insurance. How do I know if this applies to me?

Existing regulations at 49 CFR 387.403 require household goods freight forwarders to obtain cargo insurance in the amount of $5,000 for loss of, or damage to, household goods carried on any one motor vehicle; and $10,000 for loss of, or damage to, or the aggregate of losses or damages of, or to, household goods occurring at any one time and place. Non-household goods freight forwarders are not required to obtain cargo insurance. FMCSA did not make any changes to these requirements as a result of MAP–21. Source:78 FR 54720, Sept. 5, 2013.

Last Updated : May 8, 2014
Submit Feedback >