You are here

How will the U.S. ELD rule apply to a Canada/Mexico domiciled company operating a commercial rental truck in the United States?

  • A motor carrier driver operating a rental truck with a rental agreement that exceeds 8 days must comply with the ELD rule unless another ELD exemption applies.
  • If a property-carrying truck is rented for 8 days or less, as indicated in the rental agreement, drivers are not required to use an ELD.  To meet this exemption, the driver and motor carrier must maintain the following:
    • A copy of Federal Register Notice (FRN) 82 FR 47306, “Hours of Service of Drivers: Application for Exemptions; Truck Renting and Leasing Association (TRALA)” dated Oct. 11, 2017 or an equivalent signed Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration exemption document. This document must be provided to safety officials on request.
    • A copy of the rental agreement.  The rental agreement must clearly identify the parties to the agreement, the vehicle and the dates of the rental period.

Copies of the driver’s RODS for the current 24-hour period and the prior 7-days, if RODS are required on those days.

Did this answer your question? If not, please email or call 1-800-832-5660 for more information.

Last Updated : February 13, 2018
Submit Feedback >