You are here

Will a U.S. driver currently holding a SPE certificate issued by the FMCSA for a limb impairment be able to drive in Canada?

The FMCSA changed the term “waiver” previously used in 49 CFR 391.49 (and other sections) to “Skills Performance Evaluation (SPE) certificate”.  A U.S. driver with an SPE certificate, which is not a waiver but an alternative physical qualification, will be allowed to operate in Canada.  The driver must have met the requirements of 49 CFR 391.49 to be issued an SPE certificate and must carry the appropriate documentation whenever on duty.

Last Updated : December 23, 2014
Submit Feedback >