You are here

Question: Are Owner-Operators that operate commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) on the public roads that require a commercial driver’s license (CDL) subject to DOT drug and alcohol testing? Please refer to § 382.107 to find definition of CMV.

Yes, any person operating a CMV requiring a CDL in intrastate or interstate commerce is required to participate in a DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program. Please see § 382.305 question 11  . Owner-operators must register with a consortium and participate in the Consortium’s random testing pool. A Consortium/Third-Party Administrator (C/TPAs) is an entity  that manages all, or part, of an employer's DOT drug and alcohol testing program - See more at: Suggestions on how to find a DOT consortium are provided  below.

Please be advised, FMCSA does not approve or endorse C/TPAs (e.g. service agents).

Suggestions on how to find a consortium and participate in a DOT Drug and Alcohol Program:

Ø  Conduct internet search and type in the key words Consortium DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing owner-operator.

Ø  Seek advice from motor carrier industry or trucking related organizations in your area.

  • Search the yellow pages.

For additional questions please refer to The Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy and Compliance (ODAPC) FAQS.

Last Updated : May 16, 2018
Submit Feedback >