Border Enforcement Grant - Award Criteria
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) must ensure as steward of the taxpayer dollars, that it awards BEG funds in a manner that considers cost and benefits, performance goals, fiscal responsibility and accountability.
The amount of the award to a qualified applicant will be based on the recommendations from the FMCSA Division office and the technical review panel. A review of all applications received and the amount of BEG funding available.
The national technical review panel will prioritize funding requests based on, but not limited to, the following factors:
- Amount of prior year BEG award funds remaining.
- Number of reported "foreign commerce" inspections for applicants that received BEG funding in the previous grant year.
- Current international truck and bus crossing data for all states reported on the Research and Innovative Technology Administration and Bureau of Transportation statistics web site.
- Legislative requirements under Section 350 of the 2002 Department of Transportation Appropriations Act to support inspection activities of foreign domiciled carriers in states along the United States-Mexico border.
- Amount and year of any previously awarded BEG funds that were unspent.
- Proposed locations of BEG activities and locations of border ports of entry.
- Estimated and actual amount of current fiscal year funds awarded under other FMCSA grant programs.