10: Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery
|What Does This Section Cover?||p. 104|
|Preparing Equipment Being Transported||p. 105|
|Securing Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery||p. 106|
What Does This Section Cover? (Section 3.8.1)
The requirements in this section apply to the transportation of heavy
vehicles, equipment, and machinery that:
- Operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors,
and power shovels.
- Individually weigh more than 4500 kg (10,000 lb.).
Vehicles, equipment, and machinery that are lighter than 4500kg (10,000 lb.) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section,
as well as with the general cargo securement requirements (Section 2) or Section 9, Automobiles, Light
Trucks, and Vans.
Preparing Equipment To Be Transported (Section 3.8.2)
- Lower and secure to the vehicle all accessory equipment (hydraulic shovels,
- Restrain articulated vehicles to prevent articulation while in transit.
- Set the parking brake on the equipment being transported.
Special Circumstances: Securing Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, or
Machinery with Crawler Tracks or Wheels (Section 126.96.36.199)
- Restrain cargo using a minimum of four tiedowns, each having a WLL of
at least 2,268 kg (5,000 lb.).
- Prevents cargo movement in the side-to-side, forward, rearward, and vertical
- Attach tiedowns:
- Either at the front and rear of the vehicle.
- Or at the mounting points on the vehicle designed for that purpose.
Cargo is restrained using at least 4 tiedowns
More tiedowns may be required to satisfy the general cargo securement
requirements (Section 2) that state: "The sum of the working load limits
from all tiedowns must be at least 50% of the weight of the cargo."