The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), in association with the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) and industry partners, created this tool as a training aid for commercial drivers of cargo tank motor vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
This training video covers the four approaches to reducing cargo tank truck rollovers:
- Vehicle design and performance
- Load effects
- Highway factors
- Driver factors
Over 78% of rollovers involve driver error. As a driver, YOU are the key component for preventing rollovers. The preview above highlights what you’ll see in the full 17 minute video.
So why do rollovers happen and what can you do to prevent them? This Cargo Tank Truck Rollover Prevention video answers those questions and more.
- You’ll see how rollovers happen, why they happen, and what you can do to avoid them.
- You’ll hear how vehicle design and loads affect rollover potential.
- You’ll learn the warning signs of unsafe behaviors and conditions that contribute to rollovers.
- And you’ll watch survivors of rollovers tell their stories.
This video will show you how to:
- Avoid sudden movements that may lead to rollovers
- Control your load in turns and on straight roadways
- Identify high risk areas on roads
- Remain alert and attentive behind the wheel
- Control speed and maintain proper “speed cushions”
These 17 minutes can save your life—and the lives of others!
More About the Video
The main focus however, is on the driver, since statistically; drivers are ten times more likely to be the cause of the rollover than any of the other factors. With this video, we hope to improve and enhance the consciousness of cargo tank motor vehicle drivers and the hazardous materials industry about common driving errors and to provide valuable driving information.
Fleet safety managers are encouraged to use this video to supplement their driver training programs, as this information offers preventive measures that cargo tank motor vehicle drivers can take to help avoid a rollover crash. The interviews, ideas, and suggestions on this video were created at the request of the cargo tank motor vehicle industry. The video clips show examples of driver errors that we hope will serve to motivate cargo tank motor vehicle drivers to become safer drivers and thereby avoid dangerous driving situations.