About this Form
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) registration process requires that companies define the type of business operation (Motor Carrier, Broker, Shipper, Freight Forwarder and/or Cargo Tank Facility) that they plan to establish. FMCSA’s responsibilities include monitoring and enforcing compliance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) and the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) governing both safety and financial responsibility.
The Agency’s focus on both concerns is reflected in the dual path of its current registration process. Companies may find that they are subject to both registration requirements - USDOT Number (Forms MCS-150 and MCS-150B) - and Interstate Operating Authority (Forms OP-1, OP-1(P), OP-1(FF), OP-1(MX), or OP-2).
We encourage applicants to register online. For applicants without Internet access, FMCSA can mail instructions, forms, and other materials designed to assist in the off-line registration process; call FMCSA at 1-800-832-5660.
These instructions assume that the applicant has determined that a USDOT Number is required and that the MCS-150 form must be submitted.
There are two options for filing the necessary forms to obtain a USDOT Number:
- Completing and filing the required MCS-150 forms online, or
- Completing a printed copy and mailing to the FMCSA
FMCSA strongly encourages applicants to use the electronic online application process since it has built-in edit checks and simple yes-and-no questions for easy, accurate completion. It is also significantly faster than applying by mail. The estimated time to complete the form online is approximately 20 minutes.
Option 1: Filing Online (recommended)
- We encourage you to print all related form instructions prior to completing the online forms.
- To complete and submit application form(s), go to: https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/PKG_REGISTRATION.prc_option
- Upon submission, a USDOT Number for the company is issued immediately, if the application is approved.
- FMCSA suggests that you record the USDOT Number that is assigned
Option 2: Filing Paper by Mail
- Submit all required MCS and/or OP forms together.
- Once the application is completed, FMCSA suggests making a copy for the company’s files.
- Mailed applications, on average, take four to six weeks processing time.
- Notification of USDOT Number will be sent to the mailing address provided in items 8-11 of submitted MCS150 or MCS-150B form.
Mail completed application form(s) to:
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Attn: USDOT Number Application
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Note: Applications that are incomplete, unreadable, or unsigned will be rejected and returned via mail, delaying the receipt of the company’s USDOT Number.