Appendix A: List of Acronyms and Definitions
- Third Generation Wireless. 3G systems provide access, by means of one or more radio links, to a wide range of telecommunication services supported by fixed telecommunication networks and to other services that are specific to mobile users.
- Auxiliary (used for secondary identification purposes)
- Cargo Route Adherence
- Geo-fencing cargo tracking process of monitoring load location
- Closed Circuit Television
- Code Division Multiple Access. Use of any form of spread spectrum by multiple transmitters to send to the same receiver on the same frequency channel at the same time without harmful interference.
- Cellular and GPS-Mounted Antenna
- Trailer-mounted stealth antenna provided communications through its 800/1900 MHz cellular antenna and received Global Positioning System (GPS) positions through its GPS antenna.
- The custom arrangement of parameters and values (i.e., cargo check interval set to every 30 minutes) associated with the security and communications technologies being tested during the Pilot Test.
- Department of Defense
- Door Sensor
- Trailer-mounted door sensor monitored for a Door Open and/or closed event on the trailer.
- Occurrence of cargo status, door status, connect status, geo-fence violation, or trailer position.
- Electronic Fence
- Geo-fence area boundary
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Highway Administration
- Field Service Tool
- This tool interfaced with the UTT terminal in the field. The tool provided a field support application hosted on portable data assistants (PDAs) that ran on the Palm operating system.
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Field Operational Test
- A defined geographical region used to trigger an event when a user enters the region.
- Global Positioning System
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation to Ordnance
- A portion of the electromagnetic spectrum in the microwave range of frequencies ranging from 12 to 18 GHz. Used primarily used for satellite communications, particularly for satellite backhauls from remote locations back to a central location
- For geo-fencing purposes, the software supported the creation, modification, and deletion of custom landmarks by authorized users.
- Likert Scale
- A type of survey question where respondents are asked to rate the level at which they agree or disagree with a given statement; used to measure attitudes, preferences, and subjective reactions.
- Maritime Administration
- Mobile Communications Terminal
- Mobile Initiated Position Report
- Mobile Unit
- OmniTRACS Mobile Unit
- Network Management Center, which processes and manages the messaging traffic between the dispatch center and the fleet
- Network Operations Center
- A QUALCOMM Inc. developed satellite mobile communications system for near real-time data communications, automatic vehicle tracking and satellite positioning for the transportation industry.
- OmniTRACS Mobile Unit
- Ku-band Satellite Mobile Unit
- Over the Air
- Over-the-Air Message
- Wireless message, Ku-band or Terrestrial
- The custom-configured conditions in a specific scenario, such as "position reporting interval," set with associated values (1 hour) to test the security and communications technologies as part of the Pilot Test.
- Pilot Test
- As the follow-on task to the original HAZMAT FOT, an untethered trailer tracking and control system was tested to improve the safety and security of trailers and shipments from origin to destination.
- Portable Data Assistants
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
- Messaging and location tracking software for the transportation industry developed by QUALCOMM Inc. The software allows motor carrier dispatchers to keep track of vehicle location, past location history, forwards data to third parties, and a variety of other features.
- Software interface for OmniTRACS that enables users to send and receive messages and display vehicle locations.
- Risk Area
- Geo-fenced keep-out area, an alert is generated when a vehicle enters this area.
- Route Tolerance
- Distance vehicle can deviate from geo-fenced route before generating an alert.
- Received Signal Strength Indication
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- Science Applications International Corporation
- Satellite Mobile Unit
- OmniTRACS Mobile Unit
- Standard Carrier Alpha Code. This is a unique 2- to 4-letter code used to identify transportation companies, and used to facilitate computerization in the transportation industry.
- The condition under which individual or a combination of security and communications technologies were tested for the Pilot Test.
- Standard Deviation
- Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (U.S. Army)
- Test Team
- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) and QUALCOMM
- Tractor Mobile Communications Terminal
- Tractors received wireless tracking and communications systems via a terminal with an integrated GPS. These tracking and communications systems worked in conjunction with the dispatch systems.
- Tractor Power and Satellite Tracking System Interface
- The interface included the electrical and mechanical connections between the terminal and the trailer in which it was installed. The interface. This connection enabled the UTT terminal to draw power from the tractor battery when connected, for from the UTT system's rechargeable battery in the trailer.
- Trailer Connect
- Process of connecting trailer to tractor.
- Trailer Disconnect
- Process of disconnecting trailer from tractor.
- Web-based UTT asset management system developed by QUALCOMM Inc.
- Transportation Security Administration
- Ultrasonic Cargo Sensor
- Trailer-mounted sensor used to detect the presence of cargo in the trailer.
- Unified Address serial number used to identify the hardware.
- UTT System
- Untethered Trailer Tracking System; trailer-mounted terrestrial CDMA trailer tracking device.
- United States Department of Transportation
- The custom-configured frequency (1 hour) set with an associated condition (position reporting interval) to test the security and communications technologies within scenarios as part of the Pilot Test.
- Weapon of Mass Destruction
- Wireless Communications System
- Ku-band satellite or terrestrial-based wireless communications.
- Wireless Satellite Communications
- Ku-band communications
Previous | Next