Beginning January 3, 2005, FMCSA will combine two registration Web sites (http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/OnlineForms.aspx and http://diy.dot.gov ) in order to provide a more streamlined way for motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, hazardous materials carriers/shippers and cargo tank facilities to manage their registration process. Users will be able to file for USDOT number registrations, operating authority (MC/FF/MX numbers) registrations or update their registrations at one time, in one place. To access this new registration Web site go to http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov and click on "FMCSA Registration & Updates."
Key features of this new website:
- Answers to preliminary questions help to target users' registration needs. Based on the user's answers, the new system directs users through only the registration applications required for their specific needs.
- Allows interstate and intrastate motor carriers of Hazardous Materials (HM) to request a HM Safety Permit (new online feature).
- Allows individuals to request copies of rating request letters or USDOT notification letters.
- For operating authority transactions, provides carriers with a registration tracking number and a personal identifier. This new feature allows users to save all information they have already entered,, meaning the process does not have to be completed all at once. Users may return at a later time to complete the process without losing any data previously entered.
- Allows carriers to update their USDOT number registrations; file biennial updates; update the HM Safety Permit and Cargo Tank Facility registration; update their operating authorities (MC/FF/MX numbers) registration by filing a name or address change; reapply for a USDOT number after revocation or request their operating authority (MC/FF/MX number) be reinstated; and notify the FMCSA that they are no longer in business by voluntarily revoking their operating authority (MC/FF/MX number).
In addition, users will also be able to make civil fine payments via the SAFER Web site. Users will click "Online Fine Payments" to access this feature.
This combined Web site, with its many new features, will provide FMCSA customers faster, easier access to FMCSA transactions and will improve data quality.